Want to give your home a new lease of life? You may possibly want to think about repainting it. Exterior house painting is a wonderful way to give it a cosmetic raise, but a lot more importantly, it allows to guard the brickwork, render and woodwork from the things.
Before you determine to paint your house, be certain to check out this manual. We appear at the signals it is time to repaint the exterior, the very best time of calendar year for exterior painting and decorating, which paints are the ideal to use, how several coats you will need to apply, and regardless of whether or not it is a fantastic plan to do the get the job done your self.
When is the greatest time to paint a house?
If you are in the South East of the Ireland, it is ideal to paint the outside the house of your house concerning the months of April and September. Spring and summer season are generally the greatest periods, with warm, dry days that make problems in Dublin and the South East perfect for exterior house painting. Retain an eye on the forecast and intention for a period of time of dry weather about various days. Make it possible for for the painting and drying time for at minimum a pair of coats.
Paints dry ideal in temperatures amongst 10 and 21C, and the method ordinarily usually takes in between 4 and 5 hours. Damp conditions will extend the curing time and affect its adherence. Company ensures also have a tendency to stipulate that you paint only in excellent climate, so if you paint in lousy weather conditions and get inadequate success, you will not be able to assert again your income.
How frequently should really I paint my property’s exterior?
We recommend that you paint your house just about every 7-10 a long time, depending on a amount of elements:
- Area – A house by the beach will require to be painted far more generally than one particular in the suburbs, as will a home in a much more polluted space. Which is for the reason that wind-blown salt and chemical compounds in the air can trigger better charges of weathering.
- Close by trees – Tree expansion can affect the total of mild that reaches the assets, building for a moist natural environment that results in the paint to deteriorate. The paintwork could even blister and crack if drinking water finds its way less than the present layers.
- Direct sunlight – You want some solar to dry out the rain, but conversely, continuous UV rays can induce the paintwork to fade. Furthermore, rigorous adjustments in temperature can lead to a approach of contraction and expansion, triggering some paints to crack.
- Climbing plants – Selected vegetation these kinds of as ivy like to creep together your partitions. These often element little offshoots that can dig into the paintwork and even hurt the render underneath.
- Weather conditions patterns – Storms, rain and hail will normally choose their toll on the paintwork. The most frequent issue in the Eire is the presence of humidity.
Paints that were used in the ideal problems, and on a floor that was cleaned and primed, will ordinarily very last longer than paints that didn’t get the same treatment.
Some exterior paints arrive with an considerable warranty (from time to time up to 15 a long time), but we’d suggest painting your house right before this time is up. That way your home will stay wanting great and there won’t be a time when it’s unprotected from the aspects.
How numerous coats do I have to have to apply to the exterior?
When it arrives to exterior house painting, you are going to normally need to apply two coats. If just one particular coat of paint is applied, the effects may perhaps be considerably less helpful owing to inadequate protection. You are going to probable be unhappy with its top quality and want to get your house painted yet again quicker than envisioned.
A 2nd coat will seal in the colour and maximise the lifespan of the painting position. As a final result, the price to paint your home in multiple coats will be decreased than making use of just one particular coat extra commonly.
Can I paint over existing paintwork?
In accordance to our qualified painters, the solution is indeed – you can in some cases paint straight in excess of the present paintwork. But we’d only advise performing this if the primary paint is in good issue and you simply just want to improve the colour.
The aged paint typically needs to be eliminated if it is peeling or flaking we’d generally use a wire brush or jet washer to do this part of the occupation, sand the surface area down, and fill in any cracks. A primer must be used before adding the new coat of paint.
The results of your exterior house painting venture also relies upon on the affliction of what you are painting. Painting over rotting wood, or bricks with mortar concerns, won’t magically take care of those people troubles. In most instances, underlying injury will only result in the paint to fail additional immediately. You need to only paint on to a stable base.
What colour need to I paint my house?
From brilliant whites to normal greens and earthy reds, there are so numerous colours to pick from. You can constantly find a color to suit the design you want for the exterior of your home.
In our working experience, most people today pick out a mild color that provides the impact of a house being larger than it is. They frequently distinction this vivid appearance with darker trims to build an attractive model that is not just a solitary block colour.
If you stay in a conservation space, then you may perhaps have to contend with an Write-up 4 path as section of the Town and Countryside Scheduling Act. This normally takes absent permitted improvement legal rights, together with the ability to select the color of your walls, trims, window frames, and even the front door.
Tip: Right before you commence painting, it is well worth checking to see if a preservation order is in spot. If so, you are going to be predicted to paint your home in the style of the surrounding qualities. If you do not, you are going to possibly be questioned to adjust it.
What form of paint is most effective for a house exterior?
We come across that acrylic paints are the ideal selection for exterior house painting because of their elasticity. This indicates the paint can expand and contract when the temperature improvements. They’re also washable, producing painted surfaces effortless to thoroughly clean. We often use masonry paints on the trims simply because they are watertight and secure towards pollution.
The form of paint you use may count on your spending budget. We advocate making use of Dulux for good, very affordable paints, or Farrow & Ball for their top-quality high quality.
What are the indications I need to have to repaint my house?
- Cracked paintwork – Cracks and blisters are crucial signs that your exterior paintwork is failing. At the time this transpires, the floor beneath will be exposed, earning it extra susceptible to rain and prospective infestations.
- Moss and algae – These should be taken out just before any paints can be utilized. For the reason that moss thrives in moist problems, it can be an indicator of dampness problems.
- Caulking troubles – ‘Caulk’ is a joint sealer that’s commonly utilized to continue to keep out water, bugs and cold draughts. It can peel or flake off the property, in which case it could be time to give your property’s exterior the routine maintenance it deserves.
- Big cracks in walls – If there are intensive cracks alongside the outside of your house, it is unlikely that it is just the paintwork afflicted. As an alternative, there might be an issue with the property’s foundations.
- You are selling up – Exterior house painting is a fantastic way to increase consumer fascination when it is time to sell up. In truth, a analyze by Dulux suggests that about 90% of house hunters are extra very likely to watch a home which is acquired a new coat of paint.
Must I paint my house myself or employ an expert?
Over: One particular of our painters operating safely on a scaffold.
There is nothing to say you just can’t do the get the job done your self, but it will be labour intense and there could be complications together the way. How long it will take depends on the dimensions of your assets as very well as your talent amount. We advocate that you only do the work your self if you’ve acquired the correct awareness and practical experience, and have efficiently painted households before.
There is also the difficulty of safety to take into consideration. In most instances, exterior house painting requires functioning at height. We never propose finding on a ladder to do the function you will be keeping on with a single hand, although also holding a paintbrush and paint tin! Alternatively, it’s generally best to get scaffolding erected so you can entry superior places from a rather harmless system.
Why not reserve with us to get pleasure from the peace of thoughts that will come with utilizing an pro painter and decorator? Our professionals have yrs of working experience in the intensive prep do the job wanted, and know just how to mitigate the pitfalls of functioning at height. They also paint commercial properties (such as workplaces) in Dublin and the Home Counties.